02 October 2011
Two Engines Out
Today's WST was all about C-130 performance characteristics. After several rejects for various issues, we took off VFR and leveled off at 2000' for some steep turns and approach to stalls. The IP took us through a couple of infamous scenarios which ended badly. One was a final turn stall while turning into the dead engine with power off, which is easily recoverable if identified in a timely fashion. The other, a rudder fin stall, requires more effort to correct, but is difficult to reproduce under normal circumstances (requires almost a full rudder swap). We ended with a two-engines-out situation which found me scrambling to get checklists complete, systems shutdown, landing gear down, maintain a controllable aircraft and actually land. I barely made it back to the field, and actually had to land on the taxiway/ramp. Don't get slow with only two good engines. Noted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my, mamas don't like junk like this. But it's learning stuff like this that keeps me on my knees for you. Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteIt may not help, but I really think it should be a comfort. Stuff like that does not happen very often, but we train for it in the unlikely event.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, of course. Wanting to keep you safe is more like what I am rather than what I want, if that makes sense... XO
ReplyDelete