13 December 2011

NVG Sims

This phase of training has gone by at a much slower pace, so it's been good to relax a bit. I usually only have three events per week. Last week we had some mission planning academics for NVGs and I flew two NVG sim missions. Flying with NVGs, even in the sim, is pretty cool. They amplify any visible or infrared light in their field of view, allowing you to see great detail in environments with very low light. It's amazing to see, even on a screen, a runway under NVGs where there is only darkness to the naked eye. So far I've flown an airland mission (no airdrop) and an assault landings mission, where we focused on different recoveries and max-effort landings (slow speeds, steeper glidepaths). Today we had another mission planning exercise for a single-ship NVG airdrop mission simulated in a deployed location.

No comments:

Post a Comment