31 January 2011

Interesting VFR

Today's flight started of with marginal weather. There was a low ceiling when we took off, so we were actually IFR on the way out to the area. I started the engines, my IP pulled the fuel flow circuit breaker, so we didn't get a fuel flow indication. You're supposed to continue the start, which I did. We aborted the takeoff because of the Fault Warning light. She had turned off the right generator. The Navy likes to practice actual emergency procedures by making lights flash and actually turning things off. It makes the practice that much more real. The high work after we broke out of the clouds went pretty well. More stalls, ditching practice, and engine cuts. The interesting part was coming back to beat up the pattern. The ceiling never left, so we had to find a hole to fly through to get down to pattern altitude. My wingman did his patterns as the ceiling kept dropping. When I finally got in the seat, I was skirting the bottom edge of the clouds on the downwind leg of the pattern. After my fourth pattern, the controller made us full stop, because she couldn't see the aircraft anymore! We backtaxied and sat at the end of the runway waiting for an IFR clearance for about 15 minutes. I got to do the takeoff, but my IP took the aircraft for a PAR back to Navy Corpus for a full stop. I just had the comm's. We called it incomplete, because I only got a couple patterns in. This way I get more flying time. I'm totally ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment