Yesterday I doubled up on sims again, with one in the afternoon and one in the evening. They both went better than Wednesday with no major issues. I shot my first TACAN approach in the sim, which is really the same as a VOR/DME approach. The T-6 didn't have a TACAN, so the T-44 will be my intro to TACAN. Nothing cosmic about it though. I also shot my first NDB approach in the same sim, for the same reason - the T-6 was not equipped to utilize an NDB. That's a little trickier, because you're just using the needle and RMI card for navigation. There's no CDI to mark your course and tell you exactly how far off you are, you have to pay attention to the needles and make the adjustments in your head. Just takes a little more focus.
My sim profile was actually pretty diverse. It had a HI-TACAN, VOR/DME procedure turn, and a GPS approach. The transit time between approaches gave me plenty of time to get everything done before shooting the approach. So much so that our instructor was commenting on how bored he was in the back, especially in contrast with my acting copilot, who'd just done a jam packed profile with barely 5 minutes between his 3 approaches.
Today was a flight planning review for a test we'll have on Wednesday, so I got a welcome break from sims.
No comments:
Post a Comment