29 March 2011

ILS to Mins!

Yesterday we flew down to the Valley. I flew one approach there - radar vectors to an ILS final which went ok, except for the fact that my IP took out the glideslope, so I had to transition to the LOC, but he also took out the heading indications, so I only had the course indicator. I'd never done that before. It felt really weird. We flew back to the local area and I shot a TACAN approach at International. We didn't break out of the weather at all on that one. In addition to the actual instrument conditions, all of these approaches were at night. The effect of flying over an oil refinery at night is an eerie glow from the lights on the oil towers lighting up the low-lying clouds. It gives the cockpit a very strange glow. Anyway, we didn't break out, so we continued on back to the homefield and shot an ILS. We planned on a PAR following, but the aircraft in front of us barely made it out of the weather, so we elected to make it a full stop. We finally broke out at around 250 feet. The minimums for the approach are 200 feet. It was a great experience for me, because I've never flown an approach to mins like that. Good training. The weather looks similar tonight.

1 comment:

  1. The glow does sound eerie, and I'm just glad it was good stuff for you because it gives me hives just thinking about being in your shoes. Fortunately, you have HS-filled shoes! xo

    ReplyDelete